Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Wonderful World

Good day! Not alot of news on my end. I've got my Supervisors Network meeting today where we are discussing hiring practices. That should be a fun one. You may also notice my new "Kinky" banner at the top of the page. This is for Kinky Friedman that has made the ballot here in Texas for govenor by getting almost 170,000 petition signatures. Kinky is a singer/songwriter as well as a mystery novelist. He is also the first Jew to ever make the Grand Ole Opry. Since Kinky has no party affiliation his motto is, "My only special interest is the people of Texas".

"Geography is more than places on a map. It's global connections and incredible creatures. It's people and cultures, economics and politics. And it's essential to understanding our interconnected world. But sadly, our kids aren't getting enough of it. A new National Geographic-Roper survey shows half of young Americans can't locate world powers like Japan and India. Twenty percent can't even find the Pacific Ocean. (More about the survey.) Without geography, our children aren't ready for the world. That's why we started My Wonderful World. It's a National Geographic-led campaign—backed by a coalition of major national partners—to expand geographic learning in school, at home, and in the community. We want to give our kids the power of global knowledge." Check it out at http://www.mywonderfulworld.org/index.html. 12 Days!!

2 comments:

Kinky is Awesome said...

I'm glad to see your Kinky banner!

Kinky has some excellent thoughts on political borders and relations among nations.

Kinky spoke with Ruminator Magazine about his thoughts on Bush's foreign policy:

Ruminator: So does this idea of the honorable cowboy have anything to do with why you threw your support behind President Bush in this last election? You did, didn’t you?

Kinky: Yes. I did in this last election, but I didn’t vote for him the first time....I was not for Bush that time. Since then, though, we’ve become friends. And that’s what’s changed things.

Ruminator: So it’s your friendship with him that’s changed your mind about having him as president more than his specific political positions?

Kinky: Well, actually, I agree with most of his political positions overseas, his foreign policy....I basically think he played a poor hand well after September 11. What he’s been doing in the Near East and in the Middle East, he’s handling that well, I think.



I score Kinky's foreigh policy thoughts A+!

Kinky also has some great thoughts on border issues.

I saw a story in the Texarkana Gazette that showed me Kinky Friedman "gets it" about the illegal Mexican alien problem:

"Mexico is not a poor country...all of these politicians are afraid of offending Hispanics. I want the border off the evening news until we get something resolved."

Kinky's been saying that Mexico ain't poor for better than a year now. Here's a another story out of the Kilgore News Herald, where Kinky says "Mexico is not a poor country."

Here's some other interesting stuff out of that story:

"One of Friedman’s most unusual ideas addresses border security.

He proposes creating what he calls the Five Mexican Generals plan. As he lays it out, the border with Mexico would be divided into five pieces with a Mexican general responsible for each. A $1 million trust fund would be created for each general.

“When I talk about the five Mexican generals, people think I’m joking but I’m dead serious,” said Friedman. “I will divide the border into five jurisdictions, assigning one Mexican general to each and providing a trust fund for that general. Every time a person crosses illegally, we subtract $5,000 from the trust fund.”

Geoblogger said...

Thanks for the comments! I just ask that you read the following story from the New Yorker and make up your own mind. It is almost a year old, but it gives you some insight into who Kinky Friedman is. Love him or hate him!

Planet Geospatial

ESRI.com - News

GISUser.com - The complete GIS, LBS, and Geospatial Technology Resource

A VerySpatial Podcast